VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 Test Recovery Plan
In Part 9 of this VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 Tutorial Series, we will be executing a test recovery plan.
VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 – Recovery Plan Testing
1. Within Site Recovery Manager 5, click on Recovery Plans on the left hand side. Click on VMware Primary Servers under All Recovery Plans. Click on recovery Steps tab.
2. Click Test just below the Recovery Steps Tab and to the right. A window is displayed notifying you that running this plan in test mode will recovery the VMs in a test environment. You also have the options to trigger a synchronization update. Click Next.
3. A summary of the Test plan is displayed. Click Start.
4. The Site Recovery Manager is now running the test failover. As this I’m using Netapp for the underlying storage component, a snapshot is created on the volume where the VM’s reside. The snapshot is then used to create a volume clone. An NFS export is created from the volume clone and presented to the ESXi hosts.
5. The virtual machines are then added to the inventory from the Volume Clone NFS export and powered on and reconfigured for the test network.
6. As the test recovery plan finishes.
7. If we click on the summary tab we can see that the Site Recovery Manager Test has completed successfully, the time the test was run and the time it took to execute the test.
8. If we enter into the Hosts and Clusters view, we can see in our Secondary Site that the Windows 2008 Web 1 is put into the Web 1 Recovered Resource Group, and Windows 2008 Web 2 is put into the Web 2 Recovered Resource Group. I did not specify Windows 2008 Web 2 to power on upon recovery. You can also see that the Network is VM Network Testing.
9. A quick screen shot so you can see that the Windows 2008 Web 1 is powered on and ready.
10. Once we have finished testing, we have to cleanup the test environment. Back in Site Recovery Manager, click on Recovery Plans and Summary Tab.
11. Click Cleanup. A window is displayed notifying you that the test environment will be reset. Click Next.
12. A window is displayed with a summary of the Cleanup. Click Start and your test environment will be removed.
Continue onto Part 10 VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 Recovery and Failback
All the tutorials included on this site are performed in a lab environment to simulate a real world production scenario. As everything is done to provide the most accurate steps to date, we take no responsibility if you implement any of these steps in a production environment.