Note: This is an in place upgrade of a previously installed vCenter 4 Update Manager which includes update 2.
1. Insert the DVD or after extracting the ISO run the setup. You will be presented with the install menu below. Click on vCenter Update Manager.
2. Select the language for this installation and click Ok.
3. If Update Manager is already installed you will be presented with a window warning you that a previous version is already installed. Click Ok to upgrade to vCenter 4.1 Update Manager.
4. Click Next to continue with the install.
5. Click Next to accept the End-User Patent Agreement.
6. Click Next to accept the License Agreement.
7. Confirm the IP address, port number, username and password to connect to vCenter. This username should have admin access to vCenter and not be read-only. This username will be a domain account. Click Next.
9. You must upgrade your Update Manager Database to be compatible with Update Manager 4.1 Take a backup of the database before continuing. Click Next.
10. Confirm the IP address or FQDN name, SOAP Port, Web Port and SSL Port. Click Next.
11. Click Next to continue with the installation.
12. You will receive a warning notifying you that files cannot be updated while certain services are running and that these files will be updated at next reboot. Click Ok to continue.
13. You will receive the same message again. Click Ok.
14. Click Finish to complete the upgrade. You will now be running vCenter Update Manager 4.1. Remember to reboot the system.
15. One last thing that must be done is install the Update Manager 4.1 plugin. To do this, within vCenter, we click on the Plug-ins menu and select Manage Plug-ins. The Plug-in manager will pop up. Under available plug-ins click Download and Install next to VMware vCenter Update Manager. This will install the Plug-in into vCenter, it will then appear under Installed Plug-ins.>
All the tutorials included on this site are performed in a lab environment to simulate a real world production scenario. As everything is done to provide the most accurate steps to date, we take no responsibility if you implement any of these steps in a production environment.