Note: The version of VMware View Agent that i’m using in this tutorial is vmware-viewagent-4.0.1-233023.exe. We are installing this on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 that is connected to my labs domain of vmlab.local and all the latest Windows Updates have been installed along with any other applications I would like to have available to the user. Log on as administrator and make sure you have already Installed Vmware View 4 before contining.
1. Double click the vmware-viewagent-4.0.1-233023.exe file to install the agent. You are presented with the install wizard. Click Next.
2. Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
3. At the current release the Offline Desktop Components is only a tech preview, so we will not install this option. All other options are on by default. Click Next.
4. Allow the view agent wizard to make changes to the Windows XP firewall which will allow port 3389 incoming to the system. Make sure “Enable the Remote Desktop capability on this computer” is selected and click Next.
5. Type the hostname, FQDN or IP address of your view server that you’ve setup in the previous tutorial (Installing Vmware View 4). As you are logged into the domain as an administrator you can leave the default setting of “Authenticate as the currently logged on user” and click Next.
6. The wizard is now ready to install. Click Install.
7. Installation is complete. Click Finish.
8. A reboot is required. Clieck Yes to reboot.
9. Once the Pc has restarted. Log in, click Start – Run and cmd, click OK. Type in ipconfig /release to release the ip address from dhcp. Once this is complete, shutdown the PC and move onto Configuring View 4
All the tutorials included on this site are performed in a lab environment to simulate a real world production scenario. As everything is done to provide the most accurate steps to date, we take no responsibility if you implement any of these steps in a production environment.