This Tutorial will guide you through how to install Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 Server. Please note that Windows 2008 R2 is only available in 64-bit.
1. Insert the Windows 2008 R2 DVD into your DVD drive and let the computer boot from DVD.
2. The Windows installer will begin.
3. Select your Language, Time and Currency and Keyboard or input method and click Next.
4. Click Install now.
5. Select the version of Windows 2008 R2 that you wish to install and click Next.
6. Accept the license terms and click Next.
7. This is a fresh install, therefore the Upgrade option does not apply to us. Click Custom (advanced).
8. Select the hard disk that you wish to install Windows 2008 R2 Server onto.
9. Click Drive Options (advanced).
10. Click New to create a new partition and enter in the size of the partition you wish to create and click Apply
[ad#sysadmintutorialsRectanglePosts]11. Windows will create an addition 100MB partition for system use and repair. Click Ok.
12. The partitions have now been created.
13. Click Format and then click Ok.
14. The partition has now been formatted.
15. Click Next to begin the installation.
16. Windows will restart 2 times, this is the first.
17. Once the installer has finished the server will be rebooted a second time.
18. When Windows boots up for the first time it will ask you to change the users password. Click Ok.
19. Type in a new password and then re-type it in the second field to confirm. Press enter.
20. You will be notified that your password has been changed. Click Ok.
21. Windows log’s you in and the Initial Configuration Tasks window appear automatically.
All the tutorials included on this site are performed in a lab environment to simulate a real world production scenario. As everything is done to provide the most accurate steps to date, we take no responsibility if you implement any of these steps in a production environment.