There is an issue installing Netapp Performance Manager 2.1RC1 on VMware vSphere 5.5 where by the network settings do not get applied during the install wizard.
The error you will see is:
- Common Agent: failed
- Failure occurred while applying changes. Restoring back to previous configuration
Netapp OnCommand Performance Manager does install correctly within VMware vSphere 6
This is the workaround if you are experiencing this issue
Netapp Performance Manager 2.1RC1 Network Fix
1. After seeing the error above, let the server boot until you see the login prompt. Login with username admin and the password you set during the OVA deployment.
2. Select option 4 and type in erds for where it asks you to Enter your choice. Press y to enable remote diagnostic access.
3. Enter a password for the diag user
4. Press x to Exit out of the menu system and to return to the login prompt
5. Login as diag and the password you set in step 3. type sudo bash –login and press enter. Next we want to edit the interfaces file with vi as you can see in the screen shot below
6. We need to change the iface eth0 inet dhcp to iface eth0 inet static and add all the details below like in the screenshot below. Some commands you can use in VI to manipulate the contents are:
- I – for insert
- ESC – to exit insert mode
- x – deletes a single character
- wq! – write and quite – saves the file
7. Next we will run the vmware tools configuration script. Please read step 8 before pressing enter or accepting defaults.
8. We can accept all default EXCEPT Enabling vgauth. The default is yes however we want to set it as no exactly like in the screenshot below
9. Once the script has finished, go ahead and reboot the server. Oncommand Performance Manager will now have its network set correctly.