In this tutorial I will guide through configuring the vCenter 5 Web Client Server. The Web Client Server must first register with vCenter. Once registered you will be able to make a connection via the vSphere Web Client.
Configuring Web Client Server
1. First up we will be registering the Web Client Server with vCenter. Launch Internet Explorer and type in https://your_vcenter_server:9443/admin-app
2. Click Register vCenter Server at the top right hand side. Type in your vCenter server name or ip, a username and password that has admin access to vCenter and your vCenter Server name or ip again. Click Register.
3. A connection is made through to your vCenter server and the certificate is presented. Select Install this certificate… and click ignore.
4. Your vCenter server has now been registered and the SSL Thumbprint is displayed. The Web Client Server is now configured and we will proceed to connect and login via the vSphere Web Client.
5. Now we will connect to the Web Client Server via the vSphere Web Client. Open up a new browser or a new tab and type in the address https://your_vcenter_server:9443/vsphere-client and click Continue to this website
6. Make sure your vCenter server is selected and login with an account that has access to vCenter.
7. The Welcome to vSphere Web Client splash screen appears. Click the X in the top right hand side to close it.
8. Browse around and check out the web interface. You can do most admin tasks through this web interface, though not everything.
If you have any technical questions about this tutorial or any other tutorials on this site, please open a new thread in the forums and the community will be able to help you out.
All the tutorials included on this site are performed in a lab environment to simulate a real world production scenario. As everything is done to provide the most accurate steps to date, we take no responsibility if you implement any of these steps in a production environment.