VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 Installation
In Part 2 of this VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 Tutorial Series, we will be running through the installation of VMware Site Recovery Manager 5
Installing VMware Site Recovery Manager 5
1. Once you have downloaded VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 from the VMware Website, right click on the installation file and select Run as administrator.
2. Select your language and click Ok.
3. The VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 installation wizard begins. Click Next.
4. Click Next at the VMware Patents screen.
5. Agree to the license agreement and click Next.
6. I will accept the default installation directory and click Next.
7. I will install the vSphere Replication component for a later tutorial. vSphere replication allows you to replicate datastore without the need for SAN based replication. Click Next.
8. In this screen we will enter in our primary site vcenter information so that we can register the plugin. My primary site vcenter server is called vmvc1.vmlab.local. Enter in a username and password with administrator rights to vCenter Server.
9. Your vCenter Certificate will be displayed. Click Yes to accept it.
10. For my VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 installation I will Automatically generate a certificate. Click Next.
11. My Organization will be called VMLab, and my Organization Unit is called Primary Site. Click Next.
12. My Local Site Name will be Primary Site Lab, my administrator e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org. The Local Host for VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 is 192.168.1.101, which is the same host as my vCenter server and I will be using the default SOAP and HTTP ports. Click Next.
13. Here we will enter in our database information. Database Client will be SQL Server, our Data Source Name is vmware srm and our username vmwaresrm along with the password that we created in Part 1 of this tutorial series. Click Next.
14. Click Install to begin
15. Once the installation is completed, open your vCenter server and click on the Plug-ins menu. Select Manage Plug-ins.
16. You can see under available Plug-ins that we have our VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager. Click Download and Install.
17. Click install this certificate, followed by Ignore.
18. Click Run.
19. Select your language and click Ok
20. The installation wizard for the Site Recovery Manager Plugin begins. Click Next.
21. Click Next at the VMware Patents screen.
22. Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
23. Click Install.
24. The Plug-In installation is now complete. Click Finish.
25. Now if you click on Inventory – Solutions and Applications, you will see Site Recovery. Click on it.
26. Here you have the VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 screen for your Primary Site Lab.
27. I will now go and follow the same steps that I completed here to setup my Secondary or DR site. I will be installing this second instance of VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 on my vCenter server in my secondary site. In step 8 I will enter my vCenter Server at the secondary site. Step 11 I will enter in the same Organization name however for Organizational Unit I will type in Secondary Site. In step 12, I will give my secondary site a Local Site Name or Secondary Site Lab and the Local Host will be my vCenter server in the secondary site. Step 13, will be the information and credentials for SQL server at the secondary site.
If you have any technical questions about this tutorial or any other tutorials on this site, please open a new thread in the forums and the community will be able to help you out.
All the tutorials included on this site are performed in a lab environment to simulate a real world production scenario. As everything is done to provide the most accurate steps to date, we take no responsibility if you implement any of these steps in a production environment.