SnapManager for Exchange Backup Wizard
In this tutorial I will guide you through the SnapManager for Exchange Backup Wizard to create your first set of backups. You must have already completed the SnapManager for Exchange Backup Wizard. Parts of this tutorial have been blurred out for security and privacy reasons.
1. Open up SnapManager for Exchange and select your server on the left hand side. Click Backup Wizard on the right hand side under Actions. This starts the backup wizard. Click Next.
2. The first time you run the backup wizard you will be prompted with this message if you run all your databases off the one Netapp Volume. Click Yes to proceed.
3. Select the Storage Group at the top and this will automatically select all databases below.
4. Select Back up databases and transaction logs. Click Next.
5. I’am created weekly backups in this tutorial so I will select the Weekly Backup group and click Next.
6. I’d like to use the time stamp for the naming convention. Click Next.
7. Select your backup retention period. I’d like to keep the last 4 weekly backups in this example. Click Next.
8. You have the option to select up to the minute restore which means all transaction logs are saved and preserved in the snapinfo directory (i.e. more space needed) or you have the option for a point in time backup where transaction logs are removed as per the retention period. Click Next.
9. Select if you would like to backup the truncated logs (truncated logs are logs that have already been commited to the database after a full backup), this again requires more space but if you have a need too, select yes, otherwise select no. Click Next.
10. If you select no in the previous step you only have the option to Verify the databases and transaction logs. However if you selected yes in the previous step you will have the option to select Do not verify the databases and transaction logs now. Click Next.
11. Select if you want to run any commands after this backup completes. Click Next.
12. The backup wizard is complete. Next step is to set the schedule. SnapManager for Exchange uses Windows Task Scheduler. Click the schedule button.
13. Give the scheduled job a name, and enter in an account for the job to Run As. Enter in the password. Click Ok.
14. The schedule properties window is displayed. Click the schedule tab.
15. Set the schedule that you’d like the backup job to run by. Click Ok.
16. Click Yes to save this job.
17. Click on scheduled jobs on the left hand side will display the job we have just created. It will also display when the job last ran and when the next run time is.
If you have any technical questions about this tutorial or any other tutorials on this site, please open a new thread in the forums and the community will be able to help you out.
All the tutorials included on this site are performed in a lab environment to simulate a real world production scenario. As everything is done to provide the most accurate steps to date, we take no responsibility if you implement any of these steps in a production environment.