This tutorial will guide you through installing SnapDrive for Windows. If you are installing SnapDrive for Windows on Windows 2008 x64 you may be prompted to install some patches before beginning the install. The links to these patches are listed here:
Make sure you read the pre-requisites in the Installation and Administration Guide located in the Resources section before trying to install.
1. Double click the setup file. The installation Wizard will begin. Click Next
2. Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
3. Select the license type. If you have installed a SnapDrive license on your filer you can use Per Storage System otherwise select Per Server and enter in the License Key.
4. Enter in your User Name and Organization.
5. Accept the default destination folder and click Next.
6. If the server you are installing SnapDrive on is a virtual machine which is part of Vmware vCenter and you wish to use the Fiber Channel HBA’s or iSCSI initiators from the ESX hosts, click Enable VirtualCenter or ESX Server Settings and enter in the IP address, user name (with admin rights on vcenter) and password. If the server you’re installing SnapDrive on is a physical machine, don’t Enable VirtualCenter integration and just click Next.
7. Enter an account that can be used as a service account for the SnapDrive services. This account must be a member of the Built-In Administrators group.
8. The account is granted the Log On as A Service rights. Click Ok.
9. Check the SnapDrive Web Service ports and make sure they are not conflicting. Once you are happy with the ports click Next.
10. Enable the transport protocol settings to talk to the storage system. Default is RPC. Selecting HTTP or HTTPS will require you to enter a User Name, Password and Port ID. Click Next.
11. You can also integrate SnapDrive to DataFabric Manager/Protection Manager. DataFabric Manager will display statistics and performance information of the attached drive or Lun. Click Next.
12. Click Install to begin the installation.
13. The installation is now complete. Click Finish.
14. You can start SnapDrive either by entering into Computer Manager or starting SnapDrive individually via Start – All Programs – Netapp – SnapDrive
If you have any technical questions about this tutorial or any other tutorials on this site, please open a new thread in the forums and the community will be able to help you out.
All the tutorials included on this site are performed in a lab environment to simulate a real world production scenario. As everything is done to provide the most accurate steps to date, we take no responsibility if you implement any of these steps in a production environment.