We will now continue on with Part 2 of the Check Point R75 Installation tutorial where we will configure the rest of the gateway settings and install the Check Point products.
1. We have now completed the previous Part 1 of the tutorial and have just changed the admin username from admin to cpadmin and were prompted to run sysconfig for system and product configuration. Type sysconfig and press enter.
2. The wizard begins. Type n and press enter to proceed to the next screen.
3. First up we are presented with some network configuration options.
4. Press 1 for Host Name configuration and set a host name for the Check Point gateway. When you are finished type e and press enter to go back to the previous screen.
5. Press 2 and set a domain name for the Check Point gateway. When you are finished type e and press enter to go back to the previous screen.
6. Press 3 to setup DNS server for name resolution. When you are finished type e and press enter to go back to the previous screen.
7. Press 4 to enter into the Network configuration options. Since we have only configured the internal interface with an ip address, we’ll need to configure our external interface. Type 2 and press enter to configure a connection, select eth0 and configure your external ip address, subnet mask and default gateway. When you are finished type e and press enter to go back to the previous screen.
8. Pressing 5 and entering into the routing configuration menu allows you to either set a new default gateway or show the current default gateway. When you are finished type e and press enter to go back to the previous screen.
9. Type n and press enter to proceed to the next screen. In this screen we can set our time zone, date, local time and display the current time settings. Set this as per your location. When you are finished type n and press enter to proceed to the next screen.
10. As this is a brand new installation we do now have any import configuration files, so we can just press n for next.
11. We have finished with the SecurePlatform side and now we can start installing the Check Point products we will be using. It is important to note that you don’t need to install all the products in this step, you can come back at a later stage, type sysconfig and install the software that you wish to use. Press n for next.
12. Press y to access the License Agreement.
13. Select New Installation and press n for next.
14. In this tutorial we will just be installing Security Gateway, Security Management, SmartEvent and SmartReporter Suite, Management Portal and Mobile Access. Press n for next.
15. As this is the first Gateway we will select Primary Security Management. Press n for next.
16. We will just be installing SmartReporter and SmartEvent Server. Press n for next.
17. You are now displayed a brief summary of what products you have chosen to install. If you are happy press n for next otherwise feel free to go back and make changes.
18. The installation begins.
19. Once the installation is finished there are just a few more settings that are needed before the gateway is ready. If you have a license I would wait to use SmartUpdate later on to install them. I will not be adding any licenses now. Press n.
20. Yes we will want to add an administrator to this Security management server. Press y.
21. Type the new administrators username and password.
22. Yes we will want to define GUI clients to be able to manage this gateway. Press y.
23. I would like to add my internal subnet as a GUI client. I type in 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0, press enter, then press ctrl-D. Lastly confirm this is correct by pressing y.
24. The Fingerprint of the Security Management Server is displayed. This can be used to verify that you are connecting to the correct server. You have an option to save this to a file. I won’t be saving this so I’ll type n.
25. The installation is now complete. You must reboot to put the settings into effect. Press Enter.
26. Type reboot and Y to confirm. Once your firewall has booted up, you can continue onto Part 3, which will show you how to install the management tools and connect to the firewall.
If you have any technical questions about this tutorial or any other tutorials on this site, please open a new thread in the forums and the community will be able to help you out.
All the tutorials included on this site are performed in a lab environment to simulate a real world production scenario. As everything is done to provide the most accurate steps to date, we take no responsibility if you implement any of these steps in a production environment.